The Castle of Moncley
Little away from the village, the castle of Moncley dominates the valley of the Ognon. He(it) was built near the former(ancient) feudal fortress of origin. He(it) represents a brilliant and rare testimony of neo-classic architecture in France, and particularly in Franche-Comté.
The castle of Moncley was built, from 1778, at the request of the marquess Den of Santans, president with mortar to the Parliament of Franche-Comté and boss of forge to Mailleroncourt and to Moncley.
The architect is Bisontin Alexandre Bertrand who, at the same moment, steers the construction site of the theater of Besançon according to Claude Nicolas Ledoux's plans(shots).
In the style of the Venetian cities of Andrea Palladio, this castle, intended in the summer months, is in the center of a vast agricultural domain completed by a forge. Stables, farm, vast kitchen garden as well as orchard frame(supervise) him(it) and complete him(it).
Unfinished when bursts the Revolution, the castle is put under seals and undergoes no insult.
It is in 1800 the house of Charles-Suzanne Terrier de Santans then its déscendants until our days.
For individuals or groups please contact the Besancon's Tourism Office
For a rent of rooms for reunion, training course, congresses, seminaries(seminars) please contact Anne STUDER
For a rent of rooms or spaces (gardens) for a marriage please contact Mrs Bordeaux-Groult +33679825610 or Mrs Frade +33381550332
Shooting of films
For a shooting of films please send your demand in Maison GROULT
Between the stage left and the stage right, the big houses of the XVIIIth century present the architectural transcription, the duality and the dialogue, the mineral and the vegetable, the austerity and the smiling, the male and the feminine. It is the case of the castle of Moncley.
The facade of the castle stage left is curved to welcome the visitors. In the center, the extension formed by four Ionic columns surmounted by a front wall(pediment) evoke a Greek temple.
The extremities of the facade are weakened(paid off) as for them by tours(ballots) squared in the sharp roofs.
Small Doric toscans porticoes(gantries) establish a link with the wings which limit laterally the main courtyard.
The level of reception is the first floor. His(her,its) windows are high and endowed each of balusters. The first floor, endowed with smaller windows, is reserved as for him for the rooms(chambers) of the guests.
Such a variation on the architectural subject offered by the facade towards(as for) the court(yard), that towards(as for) the garden is also marked in its center by a rotunda(back seat) whereas
two tours(towers,ballots) close the composition in both extremities.
The windows of three extension are underlined of sober one headband(banner) and endowed with lifelines made by balusters. At the first floor of the rotunda(back seat), windows are the only ones to be arched.
The rotunda(back seat) is covered with slates whereas the whole roof is covered in tiles(blows).